Info for First Time Visitors
This page should cover all you need to know before coming. If you require any additional information, see our FAQ page or contact us.
- Hardrock welcomes first time climbers; we will teach you everything you need to know to use our facilities.
- Anyone can have a go, from ages 4 and up (see kids @ hardrock for more detail).
- When rock climbing one person climbs, whilst one person holds the rope (belaying). At Hardrock children must be 11 years or older to belay.
- Hardrock staff are not available to belay for you (except in U11 year old birthday parties and Private Instruction sessions) so you will need to come along with a partner.
- If you do not have anyone to climb with there are a few options:
• Our CBD venue has 4 auto-belay walls which have an automatic system allowing you to climb alone (call to check availability).
• Our Nunawading venue has a bouldering cave (bouldering is climbing at low height without ropes). Bear in mind that bouldering can be more physically demanding than roped-climbing and can be too challenging for beginners.
• Sign up for one of our CBD Beginners Courses where you will be buddied up and taught all you need to know.
- Groups of less than 10 people do not need to book
How much time to allow
- If you are visiting
Hardrock for the first time, you will be required to complete an Agreement
Form, undergo a Hardrock Safety Induction and Check Off process. This takes
15-30 minutes and upon successful completion, you are permitted to climb
throughout the centre.
- Entry to Hardrock is a
Day Pass, therefore you are welcome to climb for as long as you wish and can
even leave and return to the centre throughout the day.
As a guide, we recommend allowing a minimum of 2 hours. Most
visitors stay for 2 - 3 hours.
- Please note we will
endeavour to process you through as quickly as possible, however if you visit
at a particularly busy time, there can be up to a 30 minute wait for the next
What to wear
- Loose / comfortable clothing e.g. shorts/leggings & t-shirt.
- Purpose-made climbing shoes are required and can be hired if you do not have your own.
What to bring
- Socks - to wear with our climbing shoes.
- Drink bottle (both our venues have a selection of cold drinks and snacks available).
Before you come
- To save time on the day you can print off and fill out an Agreement Form before you come.